Abbey Tour

This part of the tour includes the oldest areas of the monastic complex: the monastic cloisters with the Paradise Courtyard, the Chapter Hall, the Romanesque halls, and the two monastic refectories — the winter and summer refectory.

The Chapter Hall was historically the most important room in the monastery. Here, new members were admitted to the monastery, the monks gathered daily, and from here their funerals were also dispatched.


The cloisters, originally Romanesque cross corridors measuring 40 meters in length, were reconstructed at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. Their interior walls still preserve the Romanesque ashlar masonry made of opuka. In the eastern part, the entrance to the Romanesque Chapter Hall is partially reconstructed. At the corners, some frescoes by Siard Nosecký from 1727, depicting scenes from the life of St. Norbert, are preserved.

The monastic cross corridor was originally the main communication route of the monastery, designed to connect all the important rooms. Its current form is the result of a Baroque reconstruction and an architectural-historical survey conducted in the mid-20th century.

The Paradise Courtyard

The Paradise Courtyard features a unique trapezoidal cistern measuring 13 x 11 meters at its center. Its Romanesque foundations were discovered in the 1950s. The cistern was reconstructed in the early 1990s and is supplied with water from the historic monastery aqueduct.

The Paradise Courtyard has surprising dimensions. At its center is a water reservoir, whose Romanesque foundations were discovered during an exploration between 1951 and 1954.

The Chapter Hall

The Chapter Hall was built between 1750 and 1753 after the original Romanesque hall, which was damaged during the bombing of Prague by French troops in 1742, was demolished. The vault is covered by a fresco by Siard Nosecký depicting "Arise and Walk – The Healing of the Sick at the Pool of Bethesda."

The altar features a painting "Blessed Hermann Joseph before the Virgin Mary," created based on a template by A. van Dyck. The walls are adorned with a cycle of hanging paintings by Franz Lichtenreiter: Saint Norbert; Blessed Gertrude; Blessed Milo; Blessed Gerlak; Saint Siard; Saint Gottfried; Saint Augustine.

The fresco by Siard Nosecký features the theme "Arise and Walk - The Healing of the Sick at the Pool of Bethesda." This artwork captures a biblical scene where Jesus heals a man who had been ill for thirty-eight years, as described in the Gospel of John, by telling him to pick up his mat and walk, occurring near the healing waters of Bethesda.

The Romanesque Halls

The Romanesque Halls were formerly the monastery's cellarium, or food storage area. Originally a two-aisled space from the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries, it was restructured in the Renaissance style at the beginning of the 17th century and vaulted with a Baroque arch between 1671 and 1674. The halls were renovated to their current condition in 1950.

In the first of these halls, there is a detailed model of the entire monastery complex at a scale of 1:100. The second hall is dedicated to the Premonstratensian Order, covering the origin and development of the Strahov Monastery. Photographs with audio commentary provide insights into the monastery, including the cloister, which is the part not accessible to the public and reserved exclusively for members of the order.

The third part of the exhibition features a series of monumental paintings by J.J. Hering from the early 17th century depicting scenes from the life of St. Norbert, the founder of the Premonstratensian Order. Also displayed are artifacts used once every fifty years during the celebrations of the transfer of his relics to Prague.

The Romanesque Halls were originally the monastery's pantry. They were reconstructed into their current form during the 1950s.

The Summer Refectory

The Summer Refectory is a dining hall designed in 1691 by the Burgundian architect Jean Baptiste Mathey. Around the walls, there is a portrait gallery of paintings from the late 17th century featuring notable figures from the Strahov Monastery. A lectern used for reading during meals is hung on the wall. The ceiling is adorned with a fresco by the Premonstratensian monk and painter Siard Nosecký (1693-1753), depicting the "Heavenly Banquet of the Righteous with Christ as the Host," created between 1743 and 1745.

The Summer Refectory, also known as the monastic dining hall, was constructed during the baroquization of the monastic complex. Its substantial structure protrudes from the monastery building into the convent garden. The ceiling is decorated with a fresco by Siard Nosecký.

The Winter Refectory

The Winter Refectory is a dining hall constructed at the end of the 17th century for the dining of convent members during the heating season. The hall's vault is covered with stucco decoration, and on the front wall, there is a large painting by Jan Jiří Heinsch (1647 – 1712) depicting Christ ministered by angels after fasting. This painting was originally created for the refectory of the Jesuit professional house on Prague's Lesser Town. It was moved to Strahov at the end of the 18th century.

Historical photograph of the Winter Refectory.

These premises can only be visited as part of the Joint Tour, which includes the Library, Gallery, and these areas. If there is an exhibition in the Abbey, it is held in these premises, making it possible to visit them as part of the exhibition entry.

Opening hours

Strahov Art Gallery

Monday - Sunday 9:00-17:00
New Year's Eve (31. 12. 2024) 9:00-12:00
New Year (1. 1. 2025) 12:00-17:00
Christmas Eve (24. 12. 2024), Christmas Day (25. 12. 2024), Easter Sunday (31. 3. 2024) Closed

  • Tickets are sold until 4:00 PM.
  • Last entry to the Joint Tour is at 4:15 PM.
  • Before entering the Joint Tour, you have to place your luggage in a locker at the box office in the Church of St. Roch near the main gate.
Tickets purchase

The Joint Tour of the monastery including Library, Art Gallery and Abbey premises can be purchased at this link: